Happy Thursday, welcome toThe Monitor, WIRED’s pop culture news roundup. It’s been a somewhat quiet week on the entertainment news front, but there are still some chatter-worthy updates, including something very exciting forBoondocksfans. Let’s get started.
Disney CEO Bob Iger Would’ve Combined Mouse House With Apple
Well, this is interesting. In an excerpt from his new biographyreleased toVanity Fair, Disney CEO Bob Iger says that the Mouse House and Apple likely would have merged had Steve Jobs not passed away in 2011. “I believe that if Steve were still alive, we would have combined our companies, or at least discussed the possibility very seriously,” Iger writes inThe Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons From 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company. What a world that would be! But, alas, we’re in this world, where competition between Apple TV+ and Disney+is heating up, and Igerleft his seat on Apple’s board.
The BoondocksIs Getting a Revival on HBO Max
The Boondocks, the beloved series based on Aaron McGruder’s comic strips, is coming toHBO Max. The forthcoming streaming service has ordered 24 new episodes of the series, which will premiere in the fall of 2020 along with the 55 episodes of the original series. “Aaron is a gifted visionary whose unique style of storytelling is a welcome voice and we are elated The Freemans are making their thugnificent comeback on HBO Max,” Kevin Reilly, chief content officer forHBO Max,toldVariety.
Fresh Off the Boat’s Creator Has a Netflix Deal
Another creator is hooking up with Netflix. Nahnatchka Khan, the creator ofFresh Off the Boat, hasjust signeda first-look deal with the streaming giant for her future feature films. Khan’s directorial feature film debut,Always Be My Maybe, premiered on Netflix this spring and, according to Netflix, was streamed by 32 million households in its first month.
More Great WIRED Stories
- A brutal murder, a wearable witness,and an unlikely suspect
- A detox drug promises miracles—if it doesn’t kill you first
- Artificial intelligence confrontsa “reproducibility” crisis
- How rich donors like Epstein (and others)undermine science
- The best electric bikesfor every kind of ride
- 👁How do machines learn? Plus, read thelatest news on artificial intelligence
- 🏃🏽♀️ Want the best tools to get healthy? Check out our Gear team’s picks for thebest fitness trackers,running gear(includingshoesandsocks), andbest headphones.